Bite your tongue
Meaning: to stop yourself from saying something you should not
*we also say hold your tongue
- I was going to say something bad to my parents, but I was smart and bit my tongue instead.
- Did you see how ugly Juliet’s new dress is? I almost told her, but I bit my tongue.
- “The teacher didn’t give us any homework for the weekend, should we say something?”
“No! Bite your tongue! I want to relax this weekend.”
Quiz: When do you think you would bite your tongue?
1. When talking with your boss
2. When ordering fast food
3. When talking with your best friend
1, when talking to your boss, you might not say something you want to say. When talking with your best friend or ordering fast food you should be comfortable saying almost anything.