This feels like home.
A Dance & Language Performance Project for New Americans
This feels like home. is an 8-week summer dance and language program for new Americans followed by a 6-week rehearsal and performance process in collaboration with Gotham Dance Theater.
My name is Marc Nuñez and I am an Artist-in-Residence at The Performance Project at the University Settlement in the Lower East Side, New York City. I have been collaborating with Julie Condon, an English language teacher at the Adult Literacy Program at the University Settlement, to incorporate dance and theater exercises to supplement learning the English language.
Our discoveries have been remarkable.
We’ve found our students speaking English with more confidence, feeling more energized and ready to learn once the body has warmed up and danced, having more freedom of expression in the body, and building a deeper sense of community through a mini performance at the end of their spring semester. Feel free to check out more specific stories on our Instagram @GothamDanceTheater.
In order to retain their English skills and keep building that overall sense of positivity, we want to continue this momentum throughout the summer. In the fall, we would like to collaborate with professional dancers of my company, Gotham Dance Theater, for a fall dance theater production. We would provide the opportunity for our language students to perform and share their American experiences on stage.
We need your help to make this American dream become a reality!
Your contribution will allow us to:
- Provide an 8-week summer dance and language program improving not only English skills, but also physical wellness, confidence and community (detailed below)
- Provide a 6-week rehearsal and performance process in collaboration with Gotham Dance Theater to prepare our students for the stage
- Present 2 nights of a performance raising awareness and celebrating the diversity of our city and country
- Provide paid work to five professional dancers
- Support artists and production staff who are contributing to this project
- Provide a stipend for our performing language students
- Provide materials (i.e. classroom materials, costumes, props, marketing materials) and additional rehearsal space